Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A busy New Year coming January 2011

Wow Christmas over again, it always seems to sneak up on you and then your not ready for it. I always close the school for two weeks as I feel it would be nice to have a couple of weeks off - however after 3 - 4 days I get very twitchy and can't wait to get back to it. I have a few little jobs on the bench and I might go in today or tomorrow for a couple of hours.

The next intake date for students is second week in February, if you book a course before end of this year you will only pay 2010 prices. Do something this year that will change your life for the better. Have a look at our courses on www.marcfish.co.uk

I decided to biscuit the bench top pieces not for strength but for alignment. Even with the Plano clamp it is very hard to get them align perfect. On pieces of this size the biscuits add no strength to the construction and on this occasion no glue was added to them - this would help get it together without the biscuits swelling up and holding the assembly apart.

The first three pieces glued and clamped up.

Isobel the dog looks on.

Front rail being dry fitted to align vices - it is very important at this stage to work out exactly where the vices go as this will affect the position of the top. I had decided that the pattern makers vice should be inset as it looked a lot neater. It is however a lot harder to fit in this position. The casting of the vice is poor with different thicknesses and it is not square. A few minor irritations that you just need to be aware of if you ever decide to fit one.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hi Welcome to the bench update, the frame is all done with feet fitted, I am now measuring up the side rails. It is a good idea to build this as a model to check proportions and the general look of the components.

The top is now being glued up with a dry run in our Plano clamp, it will be biscuited for alignment.

Biscuits are rarely perfect dimensionally here our apprentice is pressing them in an engineering vice to 3.80mm

Using a vernier gauge to check dimension of biscuits

Aluminium and brass plugs fitted

Friday, December 17, 2010

New workbench update.

Drilling using jig template for brass and aluminium plugs

Brass and aluminium plugs and bench dogs

Six of the twelve drawer handles

38 mm forstner bit used to bore out hole on the rails to join legs

Aluminium being turned into bench dogs

More soon

Thursday, December 16, 2010

New workbench under construction

New Bench for the new studio

It is the ambition of many a furniture maker to build their dream bench. This has been mine for the last few years and I have have now embarked on this mammoth task. A lot of research and experience goes into building the right bench for oneself. Height, top size, storage, vices, work holding etc, but for me the aesthetic was equally important - I do have to stand at it for quite a large part of the working day, so shouldn't it look good. This is going to be quite some workbench. Walnut and maple with turned aluminium bench dogs and drawer handles. What this space for more images.

Timber awaiting machining

Planing face side on walnut legs

End rails marked up and domino joints cut

End sections glued up and clamped awaiting drying

Frame glued up and clamped using ratchet straps, feet have been fitted

More images soon.